Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lead by giving (limited) choices

Here's a trick so good, I actually enjoy it when it's played on me*.
When leading (teams, engineers, children, customers, peers, bosses, etc), give them limited choices.

0.  Clarify the task in positive terms

This is a critical zero-step.  More on this later.

1.  Give them a choice.
When I have a choice, I have control.  When I'm working from my circle of control, I am less stressed.

2.  But limit their choices.
Inform me of the constraints.
If you have only chicken or fish, ask, "would you like chicken or fish?" 
Don't ask, "What do you want to eat?"
If you need 7 things done by next Tuesday, ask your team to volunteer from that list.

3.   Let them own it!
Think about how your next leadership tasks will play out.  Compare:

"OK.  I'll do that task.  If you say so.... "
with:
"I'll do B!  Here's why I chose it.... It's much better for me than A..."

The person who was given a choice is going to be much more likely to OWN the solution, which is exactly what you & they want.   Having a sense of ownership is more satisfying, easier to manage, and gets the best results.

*Like most of the best behaviors/tricks on this blog, this passes the "moral reciprocity test" (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... Karma/etc...).  Wouldn't you want this from your leaders?  Isn't it good to reflect on how you like to be managed, to remind yourself how to best manage your team?


No comments:

Post a Comment